Discover the Difference.
Call (716) 829-1900
McGuire Development Facilitates Sale of Franciscan Sisters Former Motherhouse
April 9, 2015
The former Sisters of St. Joseph’s motherhouse on South Park Avenue in Hamburg has been sold to a group of investors for redevelopment into market rate apartments and town homes. The 116,630 sq. ft. facility was purchased for an undisclosed amount by a partnership of Sinatra and Company, JT Properties, LLC, and the Nanula family. The sale was brokered by Vito Picone, senior director of business development for McGuire Development Company.
The 18-acre property was home to the Immaculate Conception Convent for more than 80 years. During this time, the lives, hearts and spirits of hundreds of women were nourished in the Franciscan tradition.
Five years ago, the Sisters moved into a newly constructed energy efficient convent across the street. “Our congregation is grateful that now our former home will become home for our brothers and sisters in the Hamburg community, said Sister Ann Marie Hudzina, the general minister of the Franciscan Sisters of St. Joseph. “We hope that their new home may nourish their lives, hearts and spirits as well.”
According to Sister Hudzina, proceeds from the sale will be used to support the care of aging sisters and the ministries of the Franciscan Sisters of St. Joseph, which include health care, parish ministry, peace and justice, education and social services.
The new owners of the motherhouse have committed to restoration of the grotto, which will be accessible to the public. Stained glass windows in the former convent chapel will be preserved and religious items from the chapel will be donated to missions in Nicaragua.
The original building dates back to 1928 when it opened as the first site of Immaculata Academy. The school built a new building that opened in 1954. In 1957, Immaculata Teacher Training School opened and become Hilbert College in 1964. The Hilbert Reading Center operated out of the location from 1967 to 1969.
The Franciscan Sisters of St. Joseph have been ministering in the Diocese of Buffalo since 1928, with a mission to “witness the Gospel in joy and peace, committed to prayer, service and care for all creation.” For more information, visit www.franciscansistersofsaintjoseph.org.
McGuire Development Company is a full service commercial development and real estate firm specializing in real estate services, development, property management, owner representation and brokerage. For more information, visit www.mcguiredevelopment.com or call 829-1900.
« Go Back